Today, there is very little we can buy from an ordinary grocery store that can be called food in the true sense of the word.
Nearly everything is treated, pasteurized, filled with preservatives, nutritionally blasted with microwaves, sprayed with poisonous toxins and packaged and sold as "FOOD". It is no wonder that we have seen such an increase in auto-immune diseases in the last 50 years.
Cancer is at epidemic rates, a huge amount of children suffer from asthma, diabetes is becoming a real problem in adults and children, ADHD, ADD, Multiple Sclerosis, cardio-vascular heart disease, Aids, the list goes on and on. Most of the "new" diseases that have become a problem in our modern society are known as auto-immune diseases.
What are these auto-immune diseases? Basically, when the immune systems breaks down to the point that it cannot protect the body and fight disease or cellular abnormalities anymore, the body starts to attack itself. How can we help our immune system to recognize new cells as our own - thus protecting, feeding and fixing them? By making sure we give our cells the right building blocks. Live cells need live food - vitamins, minerals, enzymes and phyto-nutrients. All of these are obtained from uncooked, living, organic food.
The shocking truth is that most of these diseases can be avoided by eating the right foods, supporting the immune system properly, combined with a regular exercise program. I know what you are going to say, "I don't have the time" or "I am too tired at the end of the day" or even "I simply couldn't be bothered.
When I was younger, I was an exercise junkie. I loved just swimming for hours and hours - to get lost in the rhythm of the strokes, and the solitude as you glide through the water without the world encroaching on your thoughts or your space. These days, I exercise because I have learnt that it is imperative to get the lymphatic system moving so that it can clear out any toxins from the body. That's why we go out come rain or shine and walk at our favourite spot here in south-west London - Nonsuch Park!
Why aren't more people taking care of themselves? Because no-one has told them that they can take control of their own well-being. They simply do not know that the "fastfood" they consume as a treat is actually feeding their body with zero-nutrient foods. It might be easier to take the kids out for a quick meal at the local drive-in restaurant, but the long-term consequences are not worth the dollar-savings.
In order to cut the toxins from processed food, I had to have a c-change myself. I have never had any confidence in the kitchen. For years I traveled the world, eating out in hotels, restaurants, invited to other people's homes for delicious meals and sharing evenings at a friend's home being cooked for. I never had to spend time in the kitchen. Combine that with a sister who is a gourmet cook, my confidence in the cooking department was below zero!
But, here I was, learning to cook from scratch. Lentils and brown Basmati rice, sweet potatoes and nut pate's, wonderful salads with everything that I would normally have cooked or steamed before eating. The RAW-revolution in my kitchen was in full swing.
When I look at preprepared food now, I scan the list of Ingredients and you would be shocked to find how many E-Numbers are lurking in there. It reminds me of the "Twinkies" in America that has a shelf-life of about 300 years ! Does that mean if you eat loads of those, you won't decompose for 100's of years after you go to a better place?
Food for thought, isn't it.
Until next time,
Stay healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment