Life has suddenly taken a very unexpected turn. We are staying in Suffolk with my mother-in-law for the time being, to make sure she is alright and to just be here for her. In the meantime, I am also under enormous pressure to start up a new business. All that, together with the heatwave we've been experiencing is not helping.
But what can you do when life throws you these curve balls? You simply have to adapt and roll with the punches, as they say. It might also help to look on the bright side - we are in a lovely, rural setting with little country lanes, a village church and fields of golden wheat waving in the breeze right outside the window of the room I am working in. Fresh country air - just what I needed!
So, in between hours of computer-bound work and quick meals, a brisk walk is a pleasure. The lanes are lined with trees and hedgerows and stinging nettles and pretty pink and purple wild flowers. And I welcome the shade from the overhanging trees which gives some relief from the relentless heat. People here think I should be used to it since I come from South Africa, but the truth is that we were used to a dry heat, and this heat is oppressive and clammy and makes it difficult to breathe. Richard suggested we go and live in the Arctic. Now that would bring a whole lot of other challenges!
My first trip to the Arctic circle was to a town called Pitea in Sweden in the middle of winter. I had been invited to do a three week revival at a local church, and it was a wonderful experience. In winter, the sun never really rises higher than the tops of the trees. The sky just lightens up for about three to four hours a day, and the rest of the time it is pitch dark.
Although we were snug and warm indoors, with temperatures at -40C everything was frozen solid. We took a trip to a popular tourist spot where they enjoy river rafting and hiking in summer. The river was frozen solid, and even the rapids seemed to have frozen in mid-air. It was beautiful, but perhaps a little too cold for my liking.
Well enough of the reminiscing. Here I am, trying to remind myself to keep a balance in my life. I guess I should start by going to bed at a reasonable time... before tomorrow is here!
So, I am off to bed now.
Until next time,
Salome
No comments:
Post a Comment