For years I walked around thinking that "vegans" are people who walk around in 'Jesus' sandals and long, flowing, floral skirts with long matted dreadlocks which haven't seen a bottle of shampoo in years, and banners that proclaim, "Don't Eat Fluffy" or "Stop Wearing Fur"!
This was definitely not the category that I would put myself into. I certainly did not fit the "anarchistic" profile that I associated veganism with. All my friends and associates were as "normal" as I was. There was nothing that could beat a good roast dinner. And salad was always a side-dish to bowls of utterly delicious-smelling pasta with chicken and bacon sprinkled with cheese and baked in the oven.
It took a series of very sad events to give me the wake-up call I needed! I was ministering in the south-west of England for a wonderful pastor-friend of mine. His wife was a cancer survivor of seven years, but while I was doing meetings in their church over the period of a few years, the cancer returned and this time she did not make it. Even though we had prayed for her and she was determined to receive her healing miraculously, our efforts were in vain.
Within a year, this friend of mine had been diagnosed with bowel cancer and died as well. But that was not all. There was a third person that I was asked to pray for that also lost the battle with cancer. I was devastated, because I had learned that cancer was a winnable war, that there were things we could do to prevent the development of this disease and I also knew that people like Dr. Malkmus had been healed of cancer completely by following the original diet as described in the Bible in the Book of Genesis.
I was determined to find out all I could about the prevention of disease and to help those that I had failed to help through prayer. My biggest frustration was that, even though I had shared my knowledge about natural cures with these people involved, they did not take it on board. The old saying about a "horse" and "water" really is true.
At the same time I was battling my own health issues. My body did not respond very well to the daily medication I was on. The two heart operations knocked me for six, and I can only guess that it was the radiation from the x-ray machine they use to see what they are doing while they are fiddling about in my heart through key-hole surgery that weakened my system as it did. Perhaps it was the amounts of anastheatic they had to administer during these marathon sessions. I don't know. All I know is that it took me at least a year to feel better, even though they had managed to open the Mitral Valve to a 50% capacity!
I started to take radical action! Someone had introduced me to some nutritional products that work on a cellular level and I started taking massive amounts of these supplements which improved my health slightly.
The next step was to cut out all milk and milk products. I changed to Soya Milk, and used that for a while. I still drank coffee from time to time, and Soya Milk was tolerable in coffee. Stopping cheese was a problem, but I started to cut down on my intake of cheese. Eventually I switched from Soya to Rice Milk, and that is what we have most of the time now.
Coffee and tea is a thing of the past. It is really an eye-opener to realize what a social event coffee or tea is in this country. We mostly drink pure, re-mineralized water which we take with us wherever we go. If someone doesn't know us, we get strange looks because we always arrive with our neoprene-bag with two glass bottles of water which we have instead of coffee or ordinary tea.I sometimes have green tea or Rooibos tea, which we used to drink in South Africa and I find quite delicious.
Until next time,
Be well and be blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment