It's summer time here in the northern hemisphere and I just love it. It's hot, it's uncomfortable but it's summer!
There is no better time in England when the days drag on until 10pm and the nights are sultry and hot and we can sleep with all our windows wide open. I love the fresh air, the slight breeze moving the curtains just ever so slightly and the sound of birds waking up at about 3:30, 4:00am when the sky starts to lighten up after the night hours.
It also means that we get to make lots and lots of Vitamin D. Yipppeee! Our bodies need vitamin D - it is one of the best ways that our bodies fight cancer. It is so important that we get some exposure to the sun every day. Now I don't mean hours and hours until you look like a lobster and feel like a sizzled sausage. It is important to be sensible about our exposure to the sun, but at the same time we need to get a certain amount of sunshine on as much of our skin surface as possible. A good excuse to strip down to your swimsuit and let the sun kiss your skin! One last thought here : be careful with those sunscreens. They are toxic to the body and are best avoided. It is far better to simply stay covered up or in the shade at the height of the sun's strength during the day. The best time to get exposure to the sun's rays is early in the morning (perhaps before 10 am) or late afternoon (after 4 pm).
The second great benefit of the hot summer weather is most definitely the opportunity to get active. There is this one spot on our walking trail where these huge old chestnut trees line the path and fill the whole sky above us. Every time we walk down that path, I imagine myself in a great big natural cathedral. I love walking in my "Cathedral of Green Trees" where I can breathe in and enjoy the fresh air and talk to the Lord about anything and everything that comes up.
Sometimes I will take a little break and catch my breath, and just take the time to absorb my surroundings. I long for open spaces and wide blue skies, and this is the closest I can get to it. There is something so healing to be out in nature - the smell of fresh earth, the sounds of birds chattering away in the safety of the trees high above and the rustle of leaves as the wind rushes through them.
So, next time you want to veg-out in front of the television, pack a picnic and head for the forest or the seaside and do your health a great, big favour - enjoy yourself and have fun!!!
With love and joy,
Salome
No comments:
Post a Comment